Monday, July 11, 2011

Psst... Has anyone seen my feet?

Last Friday, on July 8th I entered into my 26th week of pregnancy and I have lost sight of my feet. I couldn’t be happier! Really.

I am huge.  Not in my weight – although I have gained a total of 18 pounds so far – but in the size of my belly. I always ask the sonographer if they are sure I am not carrying two - of course I only have one, but it's amazing to me that one little baby could cause my belly to be this big. Strangers have asked me how far along and when I say, they stare, as if my belly is something that should be documented and charted somewhere. The Guinness Book of World Records for the hugest belly at only 26 weeks carrying only one child. I will get some pictures taken and post them soon.  I love that my belly extends outward like a basketball or perhaps two. It means my baby boy is growing and thriving and my pregnancy is continuing. I saw my doctor today when I got my progesterone shot and I told him that I couldn't be happier. I love this stage in pregnancy when you have energy and feel great. The baby has moved up and I don't feel as intense of pressure. Things are progressing normally!

Earlier last week, my cervix miraculously measured at 3.5 cm.  The sonographer said that she thought it was actually measuring at 4.0 cm but she was going to error on the side of caution. Keeping in mind that the average length of a cervix during pregnancy is 3.0 cm and as you progress into your third trimester it will begin to shorten as your body prepares for birth, 3.5 cm is normal.  She had to do the transvaginal ultrasound since the baby was in the way of her view of my cerclage and cervix. It was very uncomfortable, but she used the non-latex cover to see if that might be the culprit. I still don’t think I am allergic to latex as my doctor alluded, but I didn’t have any contractions this time, just a feeling of inflammation. But that seems a small price to pay to learn that right now my cervix is measuring normal!  Okay…so perhaps some may find my celebration of cervical length strange, but “normal” becomes such an appealing word when you have been placed on bedrest and told your cervix is in danger of shortening leading to a hospital sentence of more bedrest, upside down in trendelenburg. I’m still on bedrest to keep up the progress, but cervix is measuring normal. Normal! Did you hear that world?

Baby boy - as so named right now since we can’t seem to call him by any other name yet – is extremely active. His kicks now shake my growing belly and cause my girls to break out in fits of laughter. They love it. My hubby thinks it is awesome that he gets to experience the kicks when he puts his hand on my belly.  This is what I envisioned and what I hoped and longed for when I first found out I was pregnant. 

I feel hopeful, happy, and optimistic. Things are progressing nicely. Today my doctor and I worked out a plan of action if my water were to break early so I feel better having a plan in place. Next routine ultrasound to check cervical length is next week in of week 27.  The following week at 28 weeks, my doctors office will do a 3D ultrasound. I am really looking forward to that one!

So yes I can’t see my feet and bending over to pick up things is becoming increasingly difficult, but the important thing is… I can’t see my feet and that means I’m still pregnant and my baby is growing.  Everything is progressing... normally!

I wanted to add a quick note to thank all of the people who faithfully read my blog.  I've had the privilege to learn about so many of your experiences and stories and welcome the comments and dialogue. Although I would never wish an incompetent cervix or prematurity on anyone, it is nice to know that I am not alone in this journey. I hope you keep writing to me about your experiences as I really do want to hear about them. It's been especially humbling to hear from those of you who are now adults and were born premature. Reading your view of life growing up has given me an entirely different viewpoint so thank you, thank you,  for sharing. It just reinforces how strong those born prematurely are, and have to be, to survive.

I know some of my readers have tried to contact me via my personal facebook page and although I don't share my personal facebook as I reserve that one for family and friends, I have created a facebook page related to my blog (please "like" the page to join it) and I also have an email address where I can be contacted. I have added this information to the contacting me folder on my main blog page.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...