Wednesday, August 3, 2011

29 Week 4D ultrasound!!

So I must apologize for my delayed update as every time in the last few days that I started to sit down to upload the ultrasound pictures and let everyone know how week 29 has been, something distracts me. It's been a busy week! We had our 4D ultrasound at the end of the week last week, my sister threw us a baby shower on Saturday, my oldest started kindergarten this week, and I am in the process of finalizing paperwork for my youngest to start pre-school with the district in a couple of weeks.  I will write a separate post on week 29, my latest cervical check ultrasound, as well as some pics from my awesome baby shower!

But without further ado, I am very excited to share the photos from my 4D ultrasound last week. It's amazing what they can do nowadays to allow you a glimpse of your baby growing inside of your womb. My last 3D ultrasound was in 2006 when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter and it looked nothing like what we saw last week with our baby boy. In fact, I was under the impression that we were going to do a 3D ultrasound, but the doctors office actually did a 4D video with still pictures of the baby! Very cool, indeed! Let's just say that the strange kicks I have been feeling in my growing belly and on my cervix now make perfect sense. On the day of the 4D ultrasound he had his feet up next to his face and insisted on holding his legs in place with his arms. The tech measured his feet because I told her they looked huge and they are, in fact, large for his gestation.  They measured at 5.7cm which is 2.2 inches long.  I was told that the average foot length would be around 5.3cm.  No wonder his kicks pack a punch at this point.

He was NOT very cooperative in letting us see his handsome and adorable chubby face. From what we can tell so far he looks a lot like my hubby, but seems to have my chin -- a strong family trait that all of my siblings and I share. His nose looks a bit distorted in the photos, but I am sure it's because the little stinker is curled up in a ball with his legs doubled over his body with his feet touching his face. When the tech first switched over from the normal 2D to 4D, both my husband and I were struggling to figure out what we were looking at.  It appeared to be a mess of tangled arms and legs. Shocked I asked the tech if everything was ok.  She replied that he was just doing acrobatics, there was nothing to worry about, and she began to point out what we were looking at.  I have no idea how in the world this position is comfortable and why he would insist on this position, but apparently he must do this a lot as it explains the numerous occasions when it feels like he is going to kick through my cervix when I know he is head down.

Here's our first glimpse in 4D. I think you will see why we were a bit confused:



She then took the probe off my tummy and wiggled it on my upper belly trying to get the baby to move.  He did move ever so slightly by shifting his feet so we could catch a fleeting glimpse of his face.


Finally he moved so we could see his adorable face.  Because it was real time, we got to see all of his movements and they were also captured on video for us.


And then when he decided he had given us enough of a sneak peak, he put his hand back up to his face to briefly suck on his thumb and finally his feet were back in place also in front of his face.



Although we only had a fleeting glimpse of his precious face, we were both very excited to see his profile.  The 4D helped explain so much of the movements I have been feeling in my growing belly. We had hoped seeing the 4D would help us finally decide on a name, but it looks like we are still undecided. We may just have our top names ready for the day of his arrival when we can actually meet him and finally decide. Until then, we will just enjoy that each week he is growing and remaining inside my womb where he belongs until the day he is finally term!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! So cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is awesome! Isn't life in the womb amazing!!
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! My little boy did the exact same thing so we never got to see much more than a quickly glimpsed profile. Congrats and my prayers are with you and your family that he will make it to term.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the pictures you have shared of your family, he does seem to have a great deal of your husband's features. Big feet indicates he will be a tall man! Awesome ultrasound pictures. He looks healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...